Lockdown baking continues and we had all the ingredients ready to make an old recipe, my Sticky Date, Treacle and Ginger Cake. A certain little voice piped up however wanting some chocolate – so a new recipe was born! It’s so good that we’ve made it twice in the last month, and as it’s so moist is a great one to switch in gluten free flour if your diet needs.
350g chopped, stoned dates
350ml boiling water
140g butter (substitute for dairy free spread if you fancy)
140g light brown or golden caster sugar
2 tablespoons of honey
2 teaspoons ground ginger
40g crystallised ginger, chopped
2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
4 large eggs
265g plain flour (substitute for gluten free if needed)
2 tablespoons gingerbread caramel or ginger jam (see note at the bottom of the recipe)
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees C / 180 fan.
- Put the dates and boiling water into a saucepan and heat gently until the dates have broken down enough to be mashed with a spoon.
- Add the butter, sugar and honey and mix well.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl and add the bicarbonate of soda. Mix well and expect some bubbles!
- Sieve in the flour, ground ginger and cocoa, add the eggs and crystallised ginger and mix until well combined.
- Grease and line an 8 inch square tin or similar and pour in the mixture.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until springy touch, and an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Leave in the tin, cool for 5-10 minutes before adding the topping.
- To top – simply spread the caramel over, ensuring you get all the way to the edges (if using jam heat gently in the microwave first so it’s easier to spread). Either sieve or sprinkle the cocoa over the top to finish.
We’ve had this jar of gingerbread caramel in the cupboard for ages awaiting a use, and it makes a perfect topping for this cake. But, don’t be put off if you don’t have any. You can use ginger jam, apricot jam, or even just a quick mix of icing sugar, cocoa and water. If you can get hold of some caramel however… you won’t regret it!
Big wedges recommended! The inside should be light, fluffy and moist. Enjoy!